Average family will save an additional $3,400 a year under Horgan’s plan.
British Columbia is an expensive place to live and it can be tough to balance a household budget here. The pressures created by COVD-19 have only made it harder.
When the BC Liberals were in power, they gave tax cuts to the top two percent of income earners—and made everyone else pay for it. With tolls, fees and higher medical premiums. Instead of helping those who needed it the most, they gave breaks and deals to those who needed it least.
John Horgan has worked to bring costs down and make life more secure for families. As a result of the BC NDP, families are already saving thousands of dollars a year.
After the BC Liberals doubled MSP bills, John Horgan eliminated them entirely. Saving families up to $1,800 a year. After housing costs skyrocketed under the BC Liberals, he brought in a speculation tax. Now, 11,000 empty condos are now being used for long-term rentals for people. After the BC Liberals let rent hikes increase beyond the cost of living, he capped rent hikes to inflation. Saving renters over $300 on average every year.
Our BC NDP government ended bridge tolls, lowered childcare costs and has a plan to bring ICBC rates down by $400 a year. But there’s still a lot of work to do. Our plan keeps BC moving forward by:
- Delivering a recovery benefit for British Columbians of up to $1000 for families and $500 for individuals.
- Improving access to affordable childcare, expanding our $10 a day plan and protecting the $350 childcare fee reduction.
- Helping people who rent their homes with a rent freeze until 2021 and a renters’ rebate of up to $400 a year.
- Moving people around more affordably cutting ICBC rates by $400, free transit for kids up to 12, and expanding transit options in growing communities.
- Expanding the BC Access Grant, giving more middle-class students access to as much as $4,000 a year to help them pay the cost of tuition and textbooks.