Bill Sundhu to Seek Nomination for Federal New Democrats in Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo
This morning, Bill Sundhu announced that he will be seeking the NDP nomination for Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo.
“We are at a historic crossroads in Canada”, he said. “The government policy decisions we make this year will affect us for decades. There’s so much at stake. Our economy. Our Health care. Our environment. The strength of our democracy.
“Now more than ever, we need a bold, new vision and leaders in Ottawa to fight to make things better for all Canadians – a Canada where no one is left behind.
“That’s why I’ve decided to again seek the nomination to be the Candidate of the New Democratic Party of Canada for Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo in the next federal election.
“These are tough times for a lot of people. We can’t go backwards, to the old “normal”. We need to build a new normal – where we take better care of another. Pre-pandemic, nearly 50% of Canadians were $200 away from being unable to pay their bills. Successive Liberal and Conservative cutbacks and privatization left us unprepared for a health and economic crisis. Workers and families struggle with affordability. Too often, they pay their fair share of taxes but fall further behind – while billionaires make off like bandits.
“Already, the Conservatives are using the current crisis to demand more austerity – a disaster for millions. They continue to play from the Republican playbook – a divisive and dangerous brand of politics. Extreme wealth inequality and insidious forces tear at our social fabric and undermine our democracies.
“After 20 years of the same representation in Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo, we cannot afford the failed policies and divisive politics of the past. We deserve better. Together we can be a society where wealth doesn’t determine the dignity of lives, where health care is truly universal, where seniors are protected, where everyone has a decent standard of living, where children do not go hungry, and where the environment is protected – a country that works for us all – and not just those at the top.
“We as Canadians have the values, the drive and the talent to recover and to do great things. It starts with a shared commitment that we have a duty to take care of each other. This duty to each other is the foundation of the human rights and democratic values I have stood for all of my life.
“I was proud to run as the federal NDP Candidate in Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo in 2015. Our volunteers and campaign team were the most diverse and representative ever in this riding. And we came close to winning. We can re-imagine Canada. Canada can be a place where we all succeed, together. If we take care of each other, and invest in one another, it can be that place. We have the opportunity to begin that change here in Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo.
“Today we need principled, forward-looking parliamentarians, parliamentarians who are able reach across the aisle, listen to all voices, make responsible decisions based on evidence and the greater good, and to get things done! We need servants of the public and not servants of the “party”. We need a new vision, a new voice – a unity of purpose.
“And that’s why I am running for parliament. ”
Contact and further Information:
Tel: (Office) 778-471-5777
Tel: (Mobile) 250-574-2124
Facebook: Bill Sundhu
Mail: P.O. Box 3311, Kamloops, BC, V2C 6B9
• 2007-Current, Barrister and Solicitor, Private Practice (Kamloops)
• 2002: Recipient Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal
• 1996-2007: Judge, Provincial Court of British Columbia
• 1994-1996: Medical and Health Care Services Appeal Board of British Columbia
• 1984-1996: Barrister and Solicitor, Private Practice (Williams Lake)
• 1984: Call to Bar and Admission as Member of Law Society of British Columbia
• 2011: Certificate, Harvard Negotiation Institute, Harvard Law School
• 2010: Masters Degree, International Human Rights Law, University of Oxford
• 2014 & 1988: Certificate, Honours & Accelerated French, Institute for American Universities, France
• 1983: Bachelor of Laws, University of Windsor
• 1980: Bachelor of Arts (International Relations), University of British Columbia
Organizations and Activities:
• Board of Governors, University of British Columbia
• List of Counsel, International Criminal Court, The Hague, the Netherlands, (genocide, war crimes, crimes against humanity)
• Criminal Law Duty Counsel for the Haida Gwaii Court Circuit
• Appointee, International Panel of Experts, Training Tunisian Judiciary,
• Human Rights Institute, International Bar Association (2013-2014)
• The Law Society of British Columbia
• Tribunal Hearing Panel Member, Complaints & Discipline, Law Society of B.C. (2011-18)
• Canadian Bar Association, Yale County Rep (2016-19), Indigenous Reconciliation Committee
• Executive-Member, National Criminal Justice Section, Canadian Bar Association (2008-15)
• Rotary Club of Kamloops
• Commonwealth Magistrates and Judges Association
• Amnesty International
• Canadian Institute for the Administration of Justice
• Member Kellogg College, University of Oxford
• World Society of Victimology
General Background & Activities:
Bill was born in New Westminster and raised in Williams Lake to a pioneering South Asian family. Bill and his spouse are the proud parents of two children and have made Kamloops their home for the past 25 years.
Bill Sundhu is a lawyer and activist involved publicly in human rights, justice, diversity and equality issues, including the Canadian justice system and international human rights law. He is a lecturer, public speaker and frequent commentator on legal and human rights matters.
Languages: English, French and Punjabi.